Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Izzy the Seamstress!

Ty and I got our little date today.  It was quite nice.  We dropped the girls off with his mom for a good 3 hours and just spent some time together.  We went to Coco's and used a Christmas GC.  Yay!  We then headed to Joann's to pick up a few sewing items with another gift certificate.  Ty actually likes to walk around that store with me now.  I think I "broke" him. :) HQ usually just likes to pull all the fabric and beads in the cart while Izzy tells me everything she'd like to make if only I would just buy it for her... my little mooches.  

The girl's had a great time at Grandma and Grandpa Orpi's house.  Their cousins also came over and they all built a tent out of the dinning room table and watched "How to Train Your Dragon".  When we went back to pick them up HQ was happy to see us, but not too eager to leave.  We stayed to talk a bit and then she started to grump and we realized it was nap time! 

HQ and her cousin at Grandma Orpi's house.
 We put HQ down for her nap and Ty left for work.  It's nice when that happens at the same time because it gives Izzy and me a chance to spend sometime with just the two of us.  Unfortunately I was NOT feeling well at all so Izzy lay down next to me and just wanted to talk.  I love her talks.  So innocent and loving!

Making the most of one of her Christmas gifts :) 

Izzy...
Time for bedtime routine!  Izzy looked forward to her little sister going to bed tonight because she knew that meant we would get to try out her new sewing machine.  HQ seemed just as ready for bed tonight.  As I rocked her before bed she hummed along with me.  I put her in her bed and she immediately pulled her blanket up to her ears, closed her eyes, and fell asleep before I even left the room.

Another night of crazy tub time!
 Since I didn't feel well earlier we saved phonics for tonight.  Izzy completed her book with no pauses and no stumbles!  Now onto box 3!!  Her reward for box two is a Hello Kitty pencil box.  She's excited to go get it because she has one all set in her head.  One with a lock on it.  She has some special pencils she wants to put in there.
Finishing up her phonics :) 
It warmed my heart to see her take to sewing so quickly!  I just had her sew on paper without thread tonight.  I made some patterns on construction paper and just had her follow those.  It was a way for her to get used to the machine, learn some safety, and terminology without adding the possibility of knotting thread and ripped paper to the mix.  She LOVED it.  Her first two tries made her say, "Wow Mom, sewing is really hard!"  I told her about how I started when I was younger.  That the papers I made were so messy and even the first few things I sewed were a disaster, but I kept trying because I liked it so much.  That made her feel better and she kept right on sewing and showed a lot of improvement in the half hour we spent.  Before bed she asked me, "Mom, How do you know everything about sewing?".  I said "I don't know everything, but I know a lot.  I learned it by practicing.  My mommy didn't know how to sew, so I practiced all by myself."  "Whoa mom!  All by yourself?! That had to be really hard!  I'm going to practice a lot then I can show Grandma how to sew too!" She said excitedly.

Starting to sew!
It is now bedtime.  I have a 3 hour long blood test tomorrow morning and I am NOT looking forward to it.  At least I don't have to take the girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment