Friday, March 11, 2011

Our Home Birth

It's been a little over a week since I've blogged and I am currently blogging with Izzy, HQ, and Peanut all playing in the room so bare with me and my scattered thoughts! :) 

My water broke around 6pm on 3/4/11. Oh boy was that exciting! Seriously. We were very ready to meet him face to face and we knew this meant we would soon be holding our little guy. The midwife was here and her assistant (another midwife) showed up about 30 minutes later. The first 30 minutes to hour almost felt like we were getting ready to head to Disneyland. Yes, contractions picked up, but we knew what was happening and it was exciting. 

Like with HQ Ty was an amazing coach. From deep breathing, massaging, and showers for pain relief, laboring was easy (as far as labor is concerned!). Ty was in charge of music and he decided on Death Cab for Cutie and Final Fantasy (the video games) music. They were great choices for me! I did ask him (politely!) to switch one song though. "What Sarah Said". I really didn't feel like hearing a song about death during the birth of our baby. The midwife giggle and remarked how funny she thought it was that in the midst of unmedicated childbirth I was "coherent" enough to know I didn't want a specific song on. Nearly 4 hours after my water broke it was time to push (maybe 20 minutes of pushing) and Peanut was born at 10:03pm. 

The midwife had encouraged Ty to help "catch the baby". He originally felt very nervous. He was terrified he would drop the baby. He didn't drop him, of course, and even helped place him on my chest so I could hold and see our little peanut. Ty was overjoyed!

Checking Peanut's Stats
8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long



Ty admiring his son
I was able to hold and nurse my baby right away (which as something I wasn't allowed to do at one of my previous births even though baby was born healthy.. it was just "policy" uhg!). I had a feeling of euphoria when they placed my son on my chest and my goodness was he strong! He was already lifting his head up and rooting around. Amazing. We are so blessed!

The whole midwife experience was absolutely incredible for us. Especially coming from 2 previous (but very different even from each other) hospital births. We felt in charge and safe the whole time. We were never made to feel scared or stupid no matter what we asked or said. Ty and I highly recommend it to anyone who has a no risk pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment