Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"Izzy Wig"

Yesterday Izzy decided she wanted to donate her hair. She had been talking about possibly cutting for a couple days and I told her to think about it and if she still wanted to do it in a week we'd do it. A little over a year ago she announced she never wanted to cut her hair again so it could be as long as Rapunzel's... 

In the morning I was reading about a sickness that a child we know has. There were pictures of kids who had been affected by it and they were bald due to the sickness and/or treatment. Izzy asked me about why the kids chose to be bald. I explained that they didn't chose it. She then said, "Do you think those kids wish they had hair?" I told her I am sure many of them do, but I bet they mostly want to be and feel healthy. She said, "I wish I could give them my hair. Maybe that would help make them feel a little better. I bet it would make some girls feel beautiful. I know I wouldn't want to be bald AND sick". She then got very excited, "WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL? IF I COULD GIVE THEM MY HAIR?! I wish I could..." So I looked up Locks of Love, read the rules, and let her know she could. She was ecstatic. I still gave her a bit of time to think it over, but there was no changing her mind. 

I let Ty know Izzy's dream and we decided to do it that night. When we got to the salon she walked right up to the stylist and said, "Can you cut my hair off? I want to donated it". 

Bye bye hair!

Waiting for Izzy

HQ finally got impatient and wanted to see what Izzy was doing.
She was horrified that these people were stealing her sister's hair. 
Izzy loves her new haircut. She also thought the idea of an "Izzy wig" was funny, but she obviously felt very good about it. On our way home she said, "I really hope some little girl will get to feel so beautiful with my hair. Everyone should get to feel pretty. HEY! She'll have a Izzy wig!"

This morning Izzy woke up and said, "Mom, I am going to act like a grown up today because I look like a grown up now". She did her best to make "grown up" choices like eating veggies she didn't like, doing dishes by herself, and remembering to wash her hands without being reminded. It was pretty cute. 

After art class today she and I went out to get a hot coco. You know, like grown ups :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment