Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hahee's Jacket

I have been lying around sicker than I believe I have ever been these past few days. The pink eye in both my eyes has finally cleared up and I can see so I felt a blog was in order.

While making the dresses for Izzy and her friends HQ kept asking, "Fo Hahee?". When I was making the apron for my baby sister I got the same doe eyes and hopeful question, "Fo Hahee?" So yes, it's "Hahee's" turn. 

Fo Hahee?

Remember my New Years' resolutions? Well, with the year being about half over I figured it was time to start on those. I pulled an item out of my "make into something useful" box and made something useful.
Before
This is a jacket I lived it when Ty and I dated. I love Billabong jackets. This was so worn in there were gross stains in really awkward spots on this bad boy. Ty also loved this jacket and I just felt I couldn't part with it. I also knew I would never wear it again with it being so gross now (and since it can no longer zip up over my boobs). We can't keep it as is because that would mean we would be weird hoarders if we kept something we never had any intention of ever using again.

See? Look at me living in it.
The last pic I'm preggo with HQ so it couldn't zip it up then either.
I pondered a short while and then decided what better way to keep it in our lives a little longer than by making it into a jacket for HQ. A simple project :D

Completely deconstructed (I love deconstructing stuff). Ty came home from work during this process and was crushed. He thought I went through a bout of crazy hormones and shredded the thing... Not like he'd ever seen me go hormone crazy before (just don't ask about the cheesecake incident of 2011).

It was time to take a break. I don't sew a whole lot when the kids are all up (unless it's hand sewing) because they think it is more fun to pull all my sewing supplies out or "help me" push on the presser foot. Well, Izzy likes it when I sew. She has her own machine now and is very excited about sewing. The other two don't share our passion. 
It was a weekend but we decided to do some school work. She went to Disneyland twice this week so I don't feel bad!
And anyway, see? She's happy to be doing schoolwork on a weekend.
Watching a fish documentary.
Mesmerizing.
Locke went down for a nap so I decide to use that time to finish HQ's jacket. I turned on some music so Izzy and HQ could enjoy the sewing time too. Terrible idea. I was so distracted by HQ that I sewed the zipper into the jacket UPSIDE DOWN. Had I not been so flustered I would have thought to take a picture. : /
It took her 2 minutes to pull everything out of the repair pile, tulle drawer, and a hand-me-down bin.
Little creep. 
I completed her jacket. I had her try it on and she was so happy that Mommy made something for HER.
I made it a little big in the hopes that it should fit perfect by the time fall comes around again. I didn't have to buy a thing for this project either. I was able to cut around all the stains and reuse the same zipper. The only thing better than using fancy fabrics and making something gorgeous is being able to make something useful for free (or pretty darn close to it)!
Completed jacket! Ty said it looks exactly the same, only little. That's what I was going for!
Yeah, yeah.. I should have gotten a picture of it on her. 




2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Evie is getting to a similar stage...when I come home from running errands by myself (a rarity) she always goes to the bags and asks, "Mommy, mine?" I think she is too used to always getting a little something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it took Izzy a while to realize we won't buy her something from everywhere. We'd be at Target buying a pack of diapers for the baby and she would say, "The baby gets something? What are we getting for me?" Oh, the injustices in the world ;)

      Delete